Sunday, April 29, 2007

Nooo....I'm STILL not married!!

I'm beginning to rethink my future teaching career.

I had the pleasure of filling in this morning as the K-1 bible class teacher. Me against nine 5 and 6 year olds. Not too bad...considering I will be having at least double that amount in my class in a few months...right?? Most of these kids don't know me....as I'm only in my third week at church....so they were curious about my life. Here's how the conversation went:

1st kid: Miss Amber, are you married?

Me: No, I'm not married.

2nd kid: How old are you?

Me: 24 years old

ALL 9 kids in UNISON: WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA

Me: *Laughs in surprise*

3rd kid: And you're STILL NOT MARRIED??? My momma's 28, and been married a LONG time!

Me: *Laughs due to my speechlessness*

I never considered myself to be "old". And DEFINITELY not past my marriage peak. LOL Kids have a funny way of looking at things. It made me laugh a lot....but then made me realize I should make sure my self-esteem is in tact before I begin a full-time teaching career. :)

Anyway....I've realized how much I'm still in the Nederlands mindset lately. Last night, I went to the movies with 4 girls from the youth group, and was 1)surprised to find no subtitles on the movie screen, and 2)shocked I could understand what people were saying about the movie around us! Then today...I needed to run by Wal-mart for something, and thought to myself "Wait...I can't! It's Sunday...the stores will be closed!" Haha....wow. Wal-mart NEVER closes. Nice one, Amber.

So I begin my training for Red Robin tomorrow...should be a professional waitress in about 2. :) I'm starting to help out with activities with the youth group at church...going to Carowinds on Saturday as a chaperone...and have been asked to lead a devotional at "Ladies, Faith, and Stuff" this Friday. At the last one they had...there were 41 women in attendance. Yikes! Nerve-wracking! I hope I do okay! I've never led a devotional in front of women older than me. Am I really an adult now??? I'm having a hard time coming to terms with that idea! Where has time gone???

1 comment:

Paulo J said...

good to see you back on this side of the atlantic...just i'll be moving back to spain in sept. regarding those kids, my students think i'm old, too. it's ok. the trick is to keep others your age around. hope all's well & happy belated b-day! :)