Monday, April 09, 2007

References please?

Before I go into the mesh of jobs I've been applying for...I had the most fabulous day yesterday!

As most of you know...my father is a preacher. But not JUST a preacher. He's great. His lessons are energetic, passionate, realistic...and in English! Ha! Unbelievable that I took that one for granted for 23 years! :) And I'm not just biased, either. I've lived in Oklahoma for 5 years....Eindhoven for 1...and been to many different churches. Never have I listened to another preacher that has been able to make each lesson applicable to my own life like my dad does. I say this because I was at church for 4 1/2 hours yesterday morning...and enjoyed it! At our church, they have two worship services in the morning. One at 8:30, bible class at 9:45, and second service at 10:45. I was ready for church at 7:50.....7:50!! Haha...I don't think I've ever been ready that early in the morning for anything. :) But considering I don't have my car yet...I had to ride to church with my parents. They told me....and continue to let me know....that they don't expect me to attend both services. But surprisingly enough....I want to! Aside from the fact that I think a preacher's family should be visibly supportive of him while he's preaching....I get to meet everyone in the church and go through it all twice! Same songs, same sermon....Lord Supper two times. So if I missed anything the first time through...I'm bound to catch it by the second time! ;) And 4 hours after we got home, we had about 20 church members in our home for a small group bible study. I'm loving it! It's encouraging, it's personable...it's just what I needed!

Anyway...on to my future career! It's been a crazy day today. On Saturday, I called to inquire about a nanny position, but had to leave a message. Last night, I spent about an hour filling out an application to be a substitute teacher. This morning, I went to take a skills test for a Census Bureau job (and scored one of the highest in the group), and then spent the afternoon at Coastal Carpets being trained and getting a feel for the place. Before I left, I was offered a job there. Then about 15 minutes after I arrived home, I got a call from the family seeking a nanny. After talking to the mother...Tara...for 30 minutes...she told me that she wants to hire me....and that she felt at peace talking to me. Believe it or not....she wants ME to decide how much I want to be paid. Ha! She prefers to have a live-in nanny...but will still hire me if I decide to continue to live at home. We're meeting for lunch tomorrow to talk some more and discuss details. She has 3 boys...one 3-year old and 18 month old twins. Aren't they adorable?? I haven't actually accepted any job yet....as I wasn't expecting either of these opportunities to come up so quickly. If I take the Coastal Carpet job...I can start immediately...but a lot of my pay will be based on commission. If I take the nanny job, I won't start until May 1. And it's still very possible that the Census Bureau will call me with an offer after my background check is complete. I've pretty much chucked the substitute teaching application, though. I need a more reliable job to keep that Benz! :)

Life never gives you what you expect....why did I think mine would be any different?? :0)

1 comment:

Little Dutch Girl said...

Wooowh..

This is awesome!!!

I'm soo happy for you!!

Love ya!