Saturday, July 29, 2006

My top 10

I thought I would write the 10 things I love most about Holland...maybe Eindhoven, specifically. The small things that aren't so obvious to those who don't live here.

1) I love the shopping carts in Alberthein! You know how in the states, only the two front wheels rotate, while the back two wheels attempt to follow? Well here...all 4 wheels rotate...and don't need grease to make for a smooth ride... :)

2) I love how you don't have to pay for incoming calls on your cell phone. At this point in time in the states, some cell phone plans are now offering a plan that does not require you to pay for incoming calls. But you don't need a plan here! They don't feel the need to charge you for someone else's choice in talking to you!

3) I love that all the stores are closed on Sunday. While sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, it's nice to have Sunday off...from everything!! And not just Chic-fil-a, either!!

4) I love how you don't receive the bill at a restaurant until you ask for it. When you decide to go to a restaurant, there either is...or is not room. There's no waiting line. When you sit down to eat dinner at a restaurant...they expect you to stay until close!!

5) I love how the post office works!! Instead of standing in line, for up to an hour...you take a number, and can browse in the post office, while waiting!! Then you don't feel so claustrophic among those people beside you with 3 huge boxes, when all you want is 20 stamps...

6) I love the fresh bakery on every other corner. Such tasty treats!!

7) I love that you can cook rice in a bag!! Let's see if I can explain this. You buy a box of rice with two separate bags in it, put the bags in a pot of water...and let it cook for 10 minutes. No measuring rice...no measuring water....just put the bags in the pan, and put a timer on for 10 minutes! Genius!!!

8) I love that there are no $.01 coins! Everything rounds off to a factor of 5! Makes things so much easier...not to mention lighter! Don't have all those "pennies" to carry around and get rid of!!

9) I love that you can buy individual, half-liter bottles of ANY drink you would like in the grocery store. Not a 6-pack...not a 2-liter...you can buy just a single bottle (.5 liter) or 2 or 3 or 4!! It's very convenient for when you have company or just want a small little somethin'-somethin'! If you want a Dr. Pepper and he wants an ice tea...go for it!! Then you don't have to carry 2, 2-liters all the way home!! (and yes..i mean carry...by hand...walking back home..)

10) I love that flowers are SOOO gorgeous and extremely cheap here!! You can buy a bouquet of fresh sunflowers for 6,00 euro! And a dozen roses, of any color, for 5,00 to 7,00 euro. Amazing!! Can't get any better than that!!

So there you have it. And if you ignore the fact that half of my list consists of items related to eating...that'd be great. Love you guys!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, man. that list just made me miss Holland so bad. I need to come back! glad you are still loving it there. :)

Anonymous said...

you know... the US is trying to get rid of the penny. right now, it's costing the Treasury MORE to make the penny than it's worth (which isn't that hard to do since it's only one cent) but that and the fact that everyone treats the penny as useless anyways. i think we should be like holland. heck, at my work, we round everything up or down to the dollar... no worries for change.

Anonymous said...

LOL Sweet sweet Amber...here in the states, we DO have the boil in bag rice. One box, two bags, stick it in a pan w/ water and presto chango COOKED RICE! Oh and we also have .5 liter bottles of Sprite, Sierra Mist, Dr. Pepper, Coke, etc. Wow, you need to pay more attention! ;)

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll have to come up with a top ten list for Germany..bit of a struggle so far......

Anonymous said...

I see Julie has already informed you about the 'Success Boil n Rice' that been in the stores here for years. LOL "J" is as in Jay Woods from Clemson in case that threw you. Also, a young man from Fayetteville may be in touch. He leaves for OCU in a week and a half to begin his freshman year. I gave him your web site if he had any questions. He goes by B.A. Haven't learned last names yet. :-)
Love you--Mom