Saturday, July 29, 2006

Mission Work

I know I have already posted 2 blogs for the day, but I found the following thoughts from a friend's website who has been doing missionary work in Germany for the past 2 years. As I read it, her thoughts are so parallel to mine...I thought I would share them with you...


But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” -2 Corinthians 12:9

The mission field is more than you expect. More everything. No matter how many classes you take, books you read or people you talk to, things will be more in a sometimes overwhelming way. There are more people around. More foreign words that I don’t understand. More awkward social moments, more to keep clean in my apartment, more cheese to choose from in the grocery store—just more foreign things than familiar. No matter how much I assure myself it’s all under control, there’s always a little more than I can handle and I find myself feeling defeat. Not admitting it, no way! But something’s lurking under the surface, some sensitive, frustrated inkling that seems to spring up at the littlest thing.

Where is God in all of this?But somehow under the canopy of doubt I notice a smile from someone on the tram. A smile! Germans (and Dutch, both) aren’t known for their friendliness. And then by the grace of God, I notice more sun and blue sky today, drink more delicious tea, find more opportunities to sing out loud, marvel at more beautiful architecture, and see how a recent friend encourages me more than I ever thought. Aren’t I the one who is supposed to do the encouraging?And quietly and gently, never barging His way in, God speaks, not to my ears but straight to my heart. Regardless of how I feel, it is when I am weak that I am strong. More everything is on the way and I am powerless until I seek more of Him in me.

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” -2 Corinthians 9:15

Even though it's hard for me to admit, there are days when I feel defeated by my mission work. She says it all for me. So if you get a chance, or think about it, say a prayer for my time in Eindhoven...that it is all God wants it to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I will be praying for you! I want to send a care package to you so let me know what you would like to see in it! Miss you!
PS- You still owe me a phone call.
-- Chris :)

Anonymous said...

Bless you Amber! We love you, God, and the combination thereof!

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby Girl,
Dad and I are ALWAYS!praying for you. We know how difficult it is and how discouraging sometimes to be so far from home. But know we are so PROUD of you and LOVE you very much.
-- Mom

Tiffany said...

Hi Amber! You don't know me, but your dad was just hired as the new preacher for our church! I've done a lot of mission work also, with LST even, and what got me through those downer days was reading books by other missionaries. You know-the ones like Amy Carmichael, who had it a WHOLE lot worse than I ever did, and overcame with God's grace. We'll pray for endurance for you and the team! Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Amber, it is that time of year again. I am running around like a crazy person but you tiptoed across my mind so I thought I would drop you a line.

I see in one of your messages that your dad has a job. Praise God! Where will he be?

Hugs,
Judy