Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Excitement!

Alright...it's been an exciting day, and I wanted to share with all!

I got back a while ago from being at a driving class and taking a driving test. A military family just moved to the Netherlands not too long ago, and the wife needed to get her military driver's license. Although I'm obviously not in the military, I asked if I could come to the class just to learn and see how I would do on the test. She called and asked permission, and invited me to come along today! The class was 4 hours long, with the most hysterical english-speaking Dutchman ever!! He had the most random analogies to some of the rules of driving in the Netherlands. For example, the only two categories of moving people are "drivers" and "pedestrians". Drivers include anyone that is in charge of something. Whether it be a car, a moped, a bicycle....or a horse (if they are riding it, they are a driver...and if they are walking it, they are still a "driver"!!). However, to help get that point across...he explained to us that a person whose "horse has run off", and they are "looking" for it...but are not holding on to it...that is a pedestrian. Get it? And the idea of parking does not take time into consideration. You are "parked" if you are not loading and unloading (constantly, not taking a coffie break), or picking up/dropping someone off at the spot. If you have to wait for that person you are picking up, then it is considered "parking" (whether you are in the car or not, whether the engine is still on or not). So you must drive around until the person is ON the curb, ready to jump in as you drive by....otherwise you can get a ticket. Really.

It was a funny class...much more exciting than I had anticipated. Anyway...I passed the test....so I was rather happy about that.

And then, when I got back, I had a box waiting for me from my boss and co-workers back at OC. I was SOO excited! I had bargained for some peanut butter m&m's (as the Europeans have NO concept of chocolate and peanut butter together!)...but I hadn't bargained for all that I got! It was a true American box! Filled with boxes of macaroni & cheese, reese's peanut butter cups, fruit chews, a puzzle magazine, a reader's digest, 3 bags of peanut butter m&m's, and some orbit gum...it was awesome!! But nothing made me as happy as seeing mild, hot, and fire sauces from Taco Bell!!! :) I believe one of them must have filled a bag full...as I have enough for a year's worth of tacos! And not only that, but I was given tortillas and taco bell meat seasoning, as well. How stinkin' awesome is that?? Regardless to say, I was absolutely thrilled to receive some of the most missed, and cherished, American items!! Thanks you guys!!!

Life is good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...you must have some pretty awesome friends. I wish I had some Care Bears gummie-thingies. We miss you around here...the halls don't ring with your 50 different laughs like they used to! Keep on blogging! We like to check up on you!

Lindsay

Anonymous said...

that's great! man, that sounds like some good stuff. and dude, as I recall, Europeans have no concept of GOOD peanut butter! the don't sweeten it at all, it's more like mushed peanut spread! haha. glad you were able to get some goodies. :) Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Too funny about the driving test, aint you proud, you can drive in Europe! WOOHOOO! Enjoy your American treats, I wonder when Europeans will catch on to the chocolate/peanutbutter combo...