Monday, July 17, 2006

Going to heaven

Last week, a new reader, "John", and I were going through one of the lessons...John 14:1-9...and talking about how Jesus went to prepare a place for us in heaven.

Towards the end of the lesson, I said "How do you picture Jesus welcoming us into heaven? Do you think he will greet us with a hug?". John look bewildered that I would ask, and said assuredly, "No. No...I don't think so." Hearing this, I couldn't believe he didn't think Jesus would hug us!! I can't wait to get into heaven to see God and His Son, and be welcomed with open arms! What a wonderful thing that will be!! How sad it is to think that John doesn't believe Jesus will show affection towards us! My heart hurt for him...obviously not knowing how gentle and wonderful and loving Jesus is.

Keeping my surprise hidden, I asked "You don't think He'll hug you? Then what do you think He will do?". Without hesitation, he said "Jesus will pat us on the back" (as he made the hand motion to do so).

I suddenly realized my wrong assumption in his belief, and began laughing out loud. Now thinking differently, I said "You don't like people hugging you, do you?".

"No way!". My hurt for his misunderstanding of Jesus quickly diminished after that.

No comments: