Thursday, October 30, 2008

3 Weeks Overseas!

Time to play catch up! I got back from my "3 week vacation" (which happened to be a surprise visit to Holland, in case some of you missed that), and have been busy trying to get back in the groove of things. So much has happened! But I'll back up to the trip, first.

I flew out on a Tuesday, and arrived Wednesday morning. Willemijn was there to pick me up from the airport. We spent several hours catching up at Starbucks (only one of those in the Netherlands!) and took the train to Eindhoven, the city I used to live in. We grabbed lunch at our favorite "hot guy chinese place", and walked 30 minutes to Sheritha's house, where I stayed for 2 of the 3 weeks I was there. That night I got to see half of the church members again. It was good catching up and seeing how everyone was doing.

The following day, I sat in the center of Eindhoven for 4 hours, having sent an email to my old students to stop by and meet me, if they could. I had 4 show up that day, and 4 contact me, letting me know they wanted to meet up with me later. We had a great time, and the weather was fantastic. I went to Eindhoven without any "touristy" plans, so that I could spend the majority of my time with friends and old students. For the first weekend, I attended a singles' retreat in Germany that I used to attend when I lived there. That was absolutely fantastic. There were 7 countries represented by 38 attendees. And I even met someone who has been reading my blog for the past year! Hi Sue! :) That was crazy! But mostly, aside from my 3 day trip to Germany, most of my time was spent having lunch with that student, and dinner with this friend. It was fun! I got to meet up with Harro, my old flatmate, and truly enjoyed myself. He is such a great person...and we always had SOOOO much fun together.

The third week I was there, a woman from church told me that I could borrow her husband's car for the week, as he was in Germany on business. I was ecstatic! I knew I would need to travel back and forth from Willemijn's to Sheritha's house (an hour drive) several times, and it would save me lots of money on train tickets. So Willemijn and I planned a "touristy" day and drove to see "Ark van Noach". A Dutch man built an ark, half the size of the measurements given in the Bible, and just finished it last year. It was very cool. I have lots of pictures to show, of course...I'll try to relocate my Flicker account and post the link to all my trip pictures soon.

All in all....the trip wasn't anything new or exciting...just a lot of time spent with old friends. We went to the beach one night, and I made sure I got my share of fries with mayonnaise and ketchup chips while I was there. And I brought plenty, plenty of amazing tea back with me. I have plans to go back in the future, but my 3 weeks' there will sustain me for a while. :) Who doesn't love Europe?

No comments: