Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bling-Bling!

So I found out that Chris asked my dad permission to marry me at the beginning of August. Didn't know he was thinking about asking my dad at all...didn't know it was coming...and didn't find out until after my dad had told him yes. So naturally, I expected him to ask ME soon after. Within a week or two, I began getting a bit impatient, and to try and figure out what was going on, I jokingly said "so when do I get my bling-bling?" To shorten the upcoming story, "bling-bling" became a frequently used joke between Chris and myself. I would harass him a lot, and he would pretend he had no idea what I was talking about.

So the night I flew in from Holland, he was there to pick me up....in my favorite shirt of his, and smelling all nice. I didn't think twice about it, as I knew he had missed me, and figured he just wanted to look good upon seeing me again. When we were walking out to the parking lot, I jokingly said "So which dark corner did you park in?" He laughed and said "Actually...this parking lot is pretty well lit...I couldn't find one. So I just parked over there." I thought it was odd he actually had an answer for my sarcastic question, but went with it. We walked to the car, and it was parked further away than I would have thought. He usually parks as close to the door as he can, for me. Still...I didn't make anything of it. He unlocks the car for me, and when I open the passenger door, there is something laying in the seat. I can't tell what it is, but I assume that it's my roommate's (as he had used her car to come pick me up). Then I hear him say "Do you like your bling-bling?". I was confused, so I picked it up to find fake gold, diamond studded teeth. I laughed...thinking "Okay...okay. I got it. I'll leave you alone about the bling-bling." I figured he was trying to get me to stop harassing him about proposing, and just giving me some "bling-bling" to shut me up. Regardless, I thought it was funny, and asked if he could open the package for me. He began to open the package, then handed it back to me. While I was focused on opening the package, I heard him say "What about this bling-bling?", and I turn to see him down on his knee, holding up a ring. I look at him, and he says "Babe, will you marry me?". But I think he's joking. I figured he was REALLY trying to get me back now, and had gotten a ring out of a bubblegum machine as payback. So I just stood there and said "Are you serious? Is this a joke? Are you for real?". He laughed at me, smiled, and said "Yes, I'm serious". But because he laughed, I couldn't tell if he was still pulling my leg or not. And I was in shock, so I repeated my first line of questions. Then he asked me again, and put the ring on my finger. When I semi-realized he was serious, I bent down to kiss him, and he stood up. A couple minutes later, he said "You never really answered my question". Then I said yes, of course!

But before you think I'm a jerk, telling him that I think the ring he's given me is a bubblegum machine ring...it actually wasn't real. He proceeded to tell me that he had specially designed my ring, and it was currently being made in California. But he didn't want to wait for the ring to be finished to propose. So right now I'm wearing a "pseudo" ring, waiting for my real ring to arrive! They said it would take 4-6 weeks to make, and it's been 2-3 weeks....so hopefully we're halfway there. I can't wait to see it! From what he said...it's gonna be absolutely gorgeous! I'm gonna get my 'bling-bling" after all. :D

Now we're planning a wedding on May 16, 2009...somewhere here in Fayetteville, NC. Willemijn, Sheritha, and hopefully Harro are flying in from Holland for the event, and I couldn't be more excited about that. If you're up for flying in, as well....know that you will have a place to stay, if you do! Just let me know! :)
By the way....in case you were wondering. His last name is Davis. By the middle of next year, I will be known as Amber Davis. Weird.

No comments: