Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lesson #1

It appears as though word is out.

I was in discussion with a professor last Wednesday, when we both admitted our attempts to find a position at different institutions. While I didn't think twice about revealing his intention to leave, he felt rather comfortable expressing mine at a departmental meeting the next day. Ummmm....I had not planned on that being public information so soon....but...oh well! Lesson learned the hard way.

So for the past few work days, I have had individuals (even some not in the department where the announcement was made) who have come to me asking "if what they heard was true". The good news is that I now have a list of individuals who have offered to be references for me in securing another job. That feels quite nice. :)

So while I have not officially resigned, and nothing has been said to me by my boss(es), it seems as though it's becoming common knowledge. Who knows? Might be better this way. At least I have 5 weeks of transitioning out with people's awareness, instead of the normal 2!

No comments: