Friday, August 01, 2008

Age or OC?

This past Sunday morning, in class...we discussed Ecclesiastes 4. Within the discussion, we were asked to list the loneliest groups of people in the United States. And someone mentioned 'singles' as being one of the loneliest groups in the states. But I didn't get it. Why? I have, within the past few months, truly realized how early my friends have committed themselves to starting a family. Along with the discovery of a newly engaged friend or expecting mother, an automatic rolling of the eyes takes place. Don't get me wrong. Love boys. Love the idea of marriage. Love kids. DON'T love the fact that I, myself, almost got married at age 20. An age at which I didn't have any credit history, had never lived outside the confinements of a curfew, and was not able to imagine my life outside of the church college group. And I wanted to commit the rest of my life to someone who knew as little about reality as I did? Awesome.


What I can't decide is whether it is due to the pressures of our American society to reproduce at an early age...or if OC (and other CofC universities) really is a marriage factory. My first freshman roommate is married with 3 kids. Freshmen that lived in my dorm while I was a Resident Director are already acting as Martha Stewart to the love of their life. I...on the other hand...am 25 and still have no desire to produce mini-me's. My nephew is good enough for me!


Not to say that individuals who choose to marry young shouldn't. I just can't comprehend how I would have gotten through it. I definitely would not have been able to experience western Europe for a year by myself. And I definitely don't consider myself lonely because I'm not married. I've never felt that way. And in Europe...it's considered the peak of your life! Getting married prior to age 30 is rare. Your 20's is a time to discover yourself and what you want out of life. I sure didn't know what I wanted at age 20...and it's unbelievably difficult for me to understand how others do.


Despite the ranting and raving...I have reached a milestone in my life. A full year committed to one guy! :) Who would have thought? So here's to my relationship to Chris, as we celebrate our first year together this weekend. And although it's in my plan to marry before I'm 30...don't expect to see any little ones running around in the near future...I've still got to visit Italy and Australia!




No comments: