Sunday, November 05, 2006

Mormons

At the beginning of September, one of the younger adults from church called me and told me that she had been approached by mormons, and that she let them come into her room and begin sharing their message. But having 3 mormons against one is rather difficult, so she asked if I would be willing to join her for their next meeting. I was so excited! I had never encountered a meeting with mormons before, only heard about them, and I was sure I could back them into a corner with the things they believe! So I did my homework, read about certain questions I should ask, and what I should expect, and I was off!!

That particular day, only one of the mormon missionaries was there with their "high priest". Both were extremely nice, complimentary, and soft-spoken. Nothing like I had expected! I told them I had a few questions to ask, and he told me to go right ahead! I just kept thinking "buddy...you're gonna regret you ever came in contact with me!".

So question by question, I listened as he began to explain things that I hadn't intended on hearing! My plan was shot! From the way he was talking, we should have been going to the same church! But knowing there was more than that, and now having my pride shot down...we made another appointment with them. The next time they came, I met all three...an American, a British, and a Canadian...all 20 years old. Each time they came, they would say things like "we're not here to argue", and "we believe the exact same thing you do...and a bit more". Their words were enticing, they presented themselves in such a calm and appropriate manner, you would never think these were 20 year olds talking to you!! They invited Sheritha and I to one of their baptisms, which we went to...and then we invited them to one of ours...which they came to. After that, the discussion turned more towards what was different between our churches, than what was the same (which they kept claiming!). I continued to enjoy their company, as they are very nice guys...but every time they came, they would just say something that "irked" me to the bone! Now, two months and too many meetings later, I feel we are at a dead end. They have presented their message to me in whole, and I have explained to them my belief, as well. I love them dearly as people, but as mormons, they frustrate me to no end! It kills me to see people (55,000 missionaries!) so dedicated to the work of a mere man...and not of God! My friend Sheritha and I have spent so much time and energy attempting to get them to see the faults of Joseph Smith, but they are so sucked into the idea of a modern day prophet, nothing else matters!

At this point, I am drained. They come twice a week to talk to me, and although I desire to show them the truth, I know that it's not my full burden to carry...I've done all I can do. So now I'm considering cutting it off with them on Tuesday. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Amber...What an interesting chain of events for you. I wonder if God is using your exposure to them as a sharpening tool for you in your missionary work. What a blessing that they have met you and you may never know the impact you have had on them or the thought processes that have been provoked in all of you. God moves in a mysterious way! God is in charge!

Miss you.
Hugs,
Judy

Anonymous said...

wow, that's impressive! it's neat that God gave you such an opportunity. you planted your seed. maybe some day other people will be able to help water it. :)

S Farray said...

Hey Amber (or as your students call you, "Dear Amber"),

Guess what? I was just wondering if my name is on the internet now, cause last time we checked, it wasn't. Well, it is now!
I have to agree with the other comments about planting the seed and waiting, cause who knows what will happen. It was kind of frustrating to show someone so many verses in the bible that proves that they are wrong about basic biblical teachings and still have them say it's lies and anti-Joseph's teaching. But when you have a voice in the back of your head telling you that the bible is only the word of God if it is translated correctly, you can always use that as an excuse to say that the prophet is right and the bibletranslater got it wrong. It's like the birds picking the seed, maybe even before it hits the ground. But we did good. You showed them christian behaviour and I gave them load of bible intel on paper to take home and studdy for the next session. If they don't have the spark to read and find out more, it's because they don't want to know the truth, or they don't care or they feel quite cobfortable now. But who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Ignore my bad spelling, it's because you are not here anymore. Say "hi"to everyone and I will talk to you soon!