Thursday, August 24, 2006

Funny things!

One day, I was having sandwiches with Harro. I was getting tea ready, while he was fixing the sandwiches. When I told him I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, he said "together??". I laughed, said yes...and watched as he continued to put BUTTER on both slices of bread. Unbeknownst to me, it is overly common to use butter instead of any condiments on your sandwich. So before I knew it, I had a butter, peanut butter, and jelly sandwich. It wasn't too bad...surprisingly! I've had stranger combinations! A lady close to the church made dinner one night, and decided to bring me some. After she left, I opened the foil to see chicken, potatoes, and green beans wrapped in a tortilla. Interesting stuff! And the stores sell Lay's ketchup chips. Sounds gross, but they are my absolute favorite!! Thankfully, the store I shop at stopped selling them, so I'm not tempted to buy them every time I go out.

There's a few other things I have noticed in the past several days as well. First, and most importantly, they don't sell my shoe size here! Yes, I know I have big feet (size 10)...but in average shoe stores, the sizes only go up to 42 (size 9). It's crazy!

I also found out that the Dutch use the same word for "teach" as they do "learn". So when translating into English, they figure we use one word as well. It is very common to hear "The students continued to learn as the teacher learned them." Same thing for barn and shed. The Dutch use one word for both! My reader today asked "Doesn't your neighbor have a barn to put his motorcycle in?". Haha...

On a more serious note...I'm going to have a nephew! The unfortunate side is that my wonderful sister and brother-in-law are going to name him Eric. Not my favorite name, as you all well know. I even tried to bargain with them about the spelling. But no budging...they've had his name picked out for a long time. Oh well...I'm more excited about being an aunt! Melissa understands, don't you??? And happy birthday to you!!

Hope everyone is well!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so I was wrong, its a BOY! LOL But I was right, it isn't TWINS! HEEHEE!

Anonymous said...

An admission of being wrong by Julie?!? WOW!
On another note, the tortilla sounds good. Your sandwich on the other hand......
Have a good place for you to order shoes when you come home. I think you will find someting you like as well as a proper fit. If you want to check out the site, its Zappos.com. I have finally been able to find shoes to fit my feet!
Love and miss you. (And now - no more complaints!) :-D

Anonymous said...

Eric Stephen, Eric Stephen, Eric Stephen! It was picked out before you even DATED Eric! It's not our fault that you met the ONE Eric who ruined a great name! Did you know it means "ruler of All"?

Anonymous said...

the tortilla sounds great. and oh man... I remember the ketchup chips. so good. I found them here, once, but they're pretty rare. man, those were awesome. hope things are going well for you. miss hanging out with you! I need someone to go play darts with. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny, funny blog!!! When I have a very difficult day and want to go screaming through the streets, I open your blog so I can laugh! It will have to do since you aren't here!!!

Hugs,
Judy

Anonymous said...

i miss you! i'm hoping to come see you someday. . . someday... my brother is here. i'm a psych major now. i'm planning on graduate school etc... so maybe when you see me again (hopefully it won't be that long until i see you) i'll be Dr. Tori. hehe. doesn't that flow off your tongue and ring like a bell? Dr. Tori, say it again. haha. love you friend, sorry i haven't emailed back yet. i will soon!

Paulo J said...

i had a pbj today for lunch, actually. glad to hear you & your family are doing well. i'm going to be an uncle at the end of this month.

Anonymous said...

interesting about the dutch words "learn" and "study" being the same... that's like that in Arabic too. in fact, depending on where you stress the word, one verb can mean up to 10 different things in Arabic.

miss and love you!