Monday, August 21, 2006

Dutch English terms

I was having tea with my neighbor, Harro, last night...as we were catching up on the past month that he's been gone. While we were talking, I realized that when I return to the states, my newfound English is going to be difficult to turn back into "American English". Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about...here are a few of the changes in my English vocabulary. The first is what I say now...the latter is what most Americans would understand.

"mobile" - cell phone
"SMS" - text message
"holiday" - vacation
"chips" - fries
"lift" - elevator
"tea" - hot tea
"iced tea" - cold tea
"auto" - car
"ice" - ice cream
"towel" - a cloth, a paper towel, a napkin...anything you use to wipe with
"toilet" - bathroom
"WC" - bathroom
"drop" - licorice (although they claim it's a SPECIFIC type of licorice...but its not!) :)

That's all I can think of for now....but I'll add more later, if I remember!

I had the funniest experience this past week. I called my friend Kristina, who is in Australia doing the HIM program, and her Australian friend was with her. He got on the phone, although I didn't know it, and threw a comment in at some point. Kristina said "Did you hear what Graham said?" I said..."I heard him, but I didn't understand him" (I thought he was talking in the background). Later, he said something else. Again, she asked me if I understood. It was then that I realized he was on the phone, as well....so I began addressing him. However, the intelligent conversation I had intended to have with him never got past "Tell me about yourself"...due to the fact that I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND HIM. I was speaking English. He was speaking English. But for the life of me, I could not comprehend his words. Kristina began laughing, as she translated his English to my English. How horrible! I had no idea that it would be that difficult to understand an Australian talk. Now I know how the Dutch feel when they hear me talk (as opposed to a British English person...who they are used to). It's crazy!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what WAS he saying?!

faith4jesus247 said...

I still couldn't tell you. How horrible is that??? lol

Anonymous said...

AUstralians are NOT hard to underdstand! They are the bomb! What I wouldn't give to hear an Australian talk over another German who thinks I can understand them!

Anonymous said...

haha, I remember they use "mobile." I like your new list of words. will be interesting to hear you talk when you come back. :)

glad you are updating again!