Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bringing Europe home

You guys make me laugh. It's comical to write a post "Weeee....I bought a wedding dress!" and get several comments....then write "Oops....time-out. Post-poned wedding!" and nobody knows what to say. There wasn't a death in the family...so no need for condolences! :) I couldn't be more thankful that I'm in a relationship where I don't feel pressured to follow through with something I may not feel quite ready to do. The situation is really a blessing! So have no fear....I'm not walking around in a fragile state. :)

Anyway...I'm also excited to share that a major opportunity has come my way to head-up a missions program at my church for 2009. Tiffany, another young lady in my congregation, also worked with Let's Start Talking (LST) in Japan for 3 years (for 6 weeks' at a time). She approached me a couple months' ago about the possibility of starting a FriendSpeak program within our community, and knew that I had also had experience with LST. As it turns out, we are both trained LST team trainers, and both miss the work we did overseas. So Tiffany got all the information we needed to get started, presented the idea to our missions committee...and we're off! For a while, I wondered if it was really going to take off....but now I see that it will!

My dad showed a short info video prior to his sermon on Sunday, and gave a summarized explanation of what our congregational goal was. I had also made inserts for the bulletin for people to sign up who might be interested. Then...surprising Tiffany and myself...the elders and mission's committee agreed to let us use tomorrow's adult Bible study hour to present a more detailed powerpoint presentation of the program, to answer anyone's questions.

Tiffany has been amazing at organizing all the details. She created multiple types of flyers, business cards, and informational sheets for members to fill out. When we first sat down to discuss short and long-term goals for FriendSpeak, we wanted at least 10 members to sign up, and at least 25 individuals from the community to show interest. Even after just the short informational video on Sunday, we had 20 people fill out the bulletin insert!! That's so great! Tiffany and I hope that after we present more information tomorrow night, we will have at least that many commit to attending the mandatory training sessions we will hold in January. And our launch-off date will be the week after Valentine's Day.

I'm so excited and so blessed to be part of such a giving congregation. Pray that FriendSpeak will be a success in our community and that we will be able to reach out to those who may feel lost in this world. I'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber,

Well, once again it's been a little while since I made it to your blog (hence no comment on the last post - not a loss of words, just a lack of info!) I'm sorry to hear that your wedding plans have been post-poned, but it's good to see that you guys are able to look at the situation and make the decision that needs to be made for now. Too many couples feel that if announcements have been made, then they have to follow through even if they realize the timing might not be best. Anyway, like you said, I'm glad that you feel free to say "Let's wait for now" and not feel pressured!

I'm so excited for you with the FriendSpeak program!! I presented that info at my home congregation in Iowa about a year ago or so, but unfortunately didn't have the same reaction. :( I think it would get a great reaction from the community, but the elders are afraid that they wouldn't get enough church involvement (mind you, they are assuming that without actually asking anyone!) Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that you guys will be starting the program!! And what a great way for you and your friend to be able to put your mission experience to use at home!!

Well, before this "comment" becomes practically a blog post in and of itself, I'll end this and say, "Prettige Kerstdagen en een Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar!!" I hope 2009 brings you great excitement, change and blessings!

In Him, Sue